November 11, 2012

Holiday fabric tag how to


Joined a swap on Atcs for all - Holiday tags Tim Holtz style. For the swap, you had to incorporate Tim Holtz products. For this tag, I used distress inks, & paper.


To make this tag I used these items: 

White Felt
Ranger inks
Tim Holtz distress ink
Tulip fabric dimensional paint
Embroidery thread
Sewing machine
Embossing powder/heat gun
Embossing ink pad
Seam 2 Seam 
Hole punch
Gesso
Shape puncher (star)
Glue 
Cardboard (cereal box) for stars

Paint the felt fabric with gesso and add different colors of tulip dimensional fabric paint. Leave project; let the felt dry or use a heat gun. 

Use iron to apply the seam 2 seam. This gives the felt extra support when sewing or doing embroidery work.

At this point, you can do some embossing on the fabric piece, I chose silver with a bit of Mica flakes.

Sew on your fabric piece; I put on my free form foot and made a bunch of circles and stripes with silver thread. I then changed my bobbin thread to thicker embroidery thread, flipped my fabric piece over, and made more stripes.

Cut out a tag from the fabric piece. I used a tag I had in my stock pile as a template. Punch a hole, punch out star shapes from an old cereal box (you can either buy the shape puncher or cut your own shapes). Emboss over the stars. Glue the embossed star on top of some Tim Holtz paper and cut around the star.

Use Tim Holtz distress ink (I used vintage photo) and apply color around the edges of the tag and over some of the embroidery. You could also apply the distress ink around the edges of the stars too.

Glue the stars to the tag, find coordinating ribbon and tie to the top of the tag. 
Add more tulip dimensional paint for extra color.

Inspiration - Tim Holtz blog, More fabric art collage 64 new techniques by Rebekah Meier, Traci Bautista blog & books.








No comments: