April 03, 2009

Note to my Sons

I woke up around 3 am and haven't been able to get back to sleep. My back went out a few days ago (something shifted so it feels out of wack) so I haven't been able to get my regular running in. When this happens, it's like I have extra energy that I didn't use throughout the day - so I wake up and just lay there in bed. I'm a bit excited as well because I was inspired to start writing notes to my sons on my blog by an old aquaintence I once knew in junior high through Facebook. I checked out his blog and he writes notes to his son, instead of posting pictures.

My blog so far has been about my art swaps I participate in and activisim. I've been wanting to incorporate my family as well but have been a bit hesitant about sharing photos. I wanted somehow to incorporate my children because I don't want them to check out my blog later in life and have them notice I didn't write much or share photos of them. With the luck I have had in my past something awful would happen and plus I have no idea of who is possibly out there looking and checking out my blog.

On to my note - I wrote this when I was 7 to 8 months pregnant with my first. This note is written for both of my kids. This was written at a time in my life when I was going through big changes. Being pregnant for the first time, deciding along with my husband to stop working to be home for our kids, and losing contact with lots of friends throughout those years because of lifestyle differences.

My Hopes

My hope is that your life is filled with many meaningful relationships.
I hope that the both of you surround yourself with those who love, respect, and admire you.
I hope that you are both able to have these feelings for the people who are around you.
Life is about relationships (people) not your job, or how much money you have, or your material possessions.
I hope you keep an open mind when meeting someone different than yourself (in looks, opinions, etc.).
Don't judge others too quickly, people appear in our lives for certain reasons.
I hope during your life you find true love.
I hope that your heart is kind to the people around you, and that you live your life to the fullest.
If you have a dream, don't let anyone crush it! Keep going. (this reminds me of the line Dory says in the movie Nemo "Just keep swimming, swimming swimming. Just keep swimming." I just added this part)
You have the power within yourself to be anything you want, and you also have the power to change.
I love the both of you very much.

I also included some of my favorite quotes.

Life is without meaning you bring the meaning to it.
The meaning of life of life is whatever you ascribe it to be .
Being alive is the meaning.
Joseph Campbell

You are what your deep, driving desire is.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny.

follow your bliss,
the heroic life is living the individual adventure.

Abit of advice given to a young native american at the time of his initiation:
As you go the way of life, You will see a great chasm. Jump. It is not as wide as you think.


1 comment:

ArtSnark said...

Inspiring post. Hope your back feels better soon